Has anything Richard Hoagland predicted ever come true?
As far as I know, the answer is NO. Here's a partial checklist:
- NASA will never resolve the Shuttle ECO fuel sensor problem using conventional engineering (Web page, December 9, 2007) WRONG
- STS-125 will be canceled (C2C-AM, March 16, 2009) WRONG
- Ares 1-X will never reach the launch pad (C2C-AM, October 16, 2009) WRONG
- The EPSC conference in Rome in September will announce that Phobos is artificial (C2C and Facebook ad nauseam throughout the summer of 2010) WRONG
- President Obama will make a Kennedy-style national commitment to a Mars mission (C2C-AM, May 26, 2010) WRONG
- The failure of an ammonia pump on ISS will spell the end of the program (C2C-AM, August 15, 2010) WRONG
- STS-133 will be powered by "torsion physics, etc. etc." (C2C-AM, December 2, 2010) WRONG
- President Obama will be [insert verb indicating non-survival] at Ground Zero (FB, May 4, 2011) WRONG
- YU55 will do its close pass "while everyone's attention is distracted by Elenin" (Project Camelot pseudo-conference June 24, 2011) RIDICULOUS
- Vesta will be clearly shown to be artificial when better resolution images are taken (FB, many times in July 2011) WRONG
- Comet Elenin will deliver a message to humanity and entrain "something wonderful" (ad nauseam through several conferences, DVDs, and FB bulletins) WRONG
Also, having (quite rightly) mocked the doom-sayers over Elenin as merchants of "fear porn," he does seem to be peddling something very similar himself now. Today he posted as follows:
Extra food and water (think "preparing for a hurricane" ...), candles, medicines, etc.. etc. -- bought NOW -- will save a lot of aggrevation[sic] later ... IF this Event unfolds as the numbers say it will next Wednesday morning, before dawn .... :)
And,--a timely visit to an ATM now -- to withdraw some extra cash -- is also a VERY good thing to actually do.
"As the numbers say it will." WHAT FUCKING NUMBERS????
Update: Goldstone produced a new ephemeris yesterday, 6th November. So there are "the numbers," and they offer no support to Hoagland at all.
I'll be blogging more on this after YU55 has not hit the Moon.